Deputy Chief Morris Leondar

Aledo Service Map

Aledo volunteer fire department was established in 1951 by members of the Aledo Community to protect the town in the surrounding areas. In December of 1952 the department applied for and received non-profit group status from the US Treasury Department. In those days the department was funded by ranches the community and the fireman themselves.

Firefighters were notified of calls by a large surplus air raid siren that was placed behind the fire station. Eventually a party line was installed to all the fireman’s homes. When a call would come out the phones would start ringing.

Eventually fundraisers had to be put in place that included a stag dinner, pancake breakfasts and the sale of fireworks every July. Ultimately the stag dinner turned into a steak supper and all were welcome to attend. Other fund-raisers over the years included the bike ride for Heroes and various fundraising letters.

The volunteer fire department had built its own vehicles over the years. This included trucks donated by local ranches and converted by the firemen using what they had. Combine engines and spare parts from water haul trucks all came together to make grass trucks that were used for years. In 1977 a Pierce mini Pumper was purchased and then in 1999 a full sized fire truck from Pierce Fire Apparatus was the department’s first engine. 2001 the County’s first Wildland interface engine was also acquired from Pierce fire apparatus.

In 1997 land was donated near the intersection of then farmer Road and White Settlement Road West. A 2nd fire station was built and is still in service today.

Eventually the Department could not keep up with the growth of the community surrounding it. Around 2010 department members begin to looking into forming an emergency service district of their own to support the fire department with taxes. All the research and meetings concluded that this was not possible due to the city of Fort Worth and their ETJ surrounding the town of Aledo. A search was conducted by the leadership of the department to seek out an established ESD that it could join. In 2012 it members of the department decided to ask the VFD directors to join Parker County ESD 1.

In 2013 after a long hard fought campaign the VFD won the support of the community and joined ESD 1. ESD1 built 2 new fire stations which were completed 2017. Station 34 was opened in December of 2017 following the opening of Station 37 in Annetta South the previous month.